Packing of Seed
Approval of Packing Material
The main objective of seed treatment refers to the application of fungicides, insecticides
or a combination of both, to seed so as to disinfect and disinfest them from seed
or soil borne pathogenic organisms and storage insects to improve germination and
TYPES OF SEED TREATMENT
1. SEED DISINFECTION
It refers to the eradication of fungal spores that have become established within
the seed coat or in more deep tissues.
2. SEED DISINFESTATION
It refers to the destruction of surface borne organism that have contaminated the
seed surface but not penetrated the seed surface/coat.
3. SEED PROTECTION
This is the treatment to protect the seed and young seedling from organisms in the
soil which might otherwise cause decay of the seed before germination.
SEED TREATING CHEMICALS
- Organic : Generally these compounds are less effective but are not harmful to seeds
as that of organic mercurials and the seed can be stored for long period without
- Inorganic : In this category chemicals such as copper carbonate, copper sulphate,
cuprous oxide, combination of zinc oxide and hydroxide constitute the major inorganic
non-mercurial compounds used as fungicides.
- Insecticides : Now a days various types of insecticides are used for seed treatment
in combination with fungicides to protect soil insects and storage insects mainly.
METHODS OF TREATMENT
- Dusting : The chemicals and seed are thoroughly mixed in a mechanical mixer normally
at the rate of 200 to 300 gm. chemical/q.
- Slurry : In this method the fungicide is applied to the seed in a soup like water
suspension which is mixed with the seed in a special slurry treater. All foundation
class seeds shall invariably be subjected to such treatment.
- Liquids : This is also known as quick wet method in which concentrated solution
of fungicide is applied to the seed and thoroughly mixed, dried and packed.
- Packet : In this method recommended dosage of the fungicide is packed in a polyethylene
bag and kept in each seed container along with the method of using it. Generally
this method is used in the certified seed class in Rajasthan.
Since most products are harmful for humans, extreme care is to be taken while treating
the seed and treated seed is never be used as human or animal food and a warning
of this effect is essentially be printed on each bag and label.